Thursday, December 3, 2009

What Kind of Kid Was I?

What kind of little kid was I? Well one thing for sure, I was no Thomas Edison edition.

As a kid, my record player was my prize possession. When I wasn’t playing records on it, I used it as a pottery wheel. That’s what the 78rpm setting was for… 33rpm was for albums, 45rpm was for singles, and 78rpm was for pottery. Amazingly, all the water running off the clay never did short out that old record player. They don't make 'em like that anymore! When I eventually got a new one though, it didn’t have a 78rpm setting. All the lousy thing could do was play records!

On a related tangent; I had a toy car once that ran on batteries and went about 5 miles per hour. I figured that if I cut off the end of an extension cord and hooked the bare wires to where the batteries go, I could make the car go much faster. Everything was going as planned until I plugged the business end of the extension cord into the wall. Instead of going from zero to sixty in four feet, the car exploded in a puff of smoke, and the light bulb in the ceiling above my head blew up. The old fuse box on the back porch prevented further detonations by plunging the house into total darkness.

Having successfully not been electrocuted twice already, I eventually turned 10 and watched Neil Armstrong land on the moon. Those were good times.

No comments: