Thursday, December 3, 2009

1969

  
Of all the years I can remember that end in nine, I think 1969 was my favorite. All of the other nines have been less stellar. Yes, there have been a couple good sevens, and maybe even a nice two or two. But for a really good nine you have to give it to the standard bearer of the sixties, 1969.

So, who was the guy that stayed in the Apollo 11 capsule circling the moon for three days while Neil Armstrong, and Buzz Aldrin got to go play in the lunar dust? If you said Timothy Leary you’re only half right.

Now whenever someone tells me something was “really good” I like to say: “Was it Neil Armstrong good? Buzz Aldrin good? or just Michael Collins good?” And when they say “Michael Collins?” I just say “Yeah, that’s what I thought.” and pretend to lose interest.
  

No comments: