Thursday, December 3, 2009

Am I Mentally Nuts?

  
Am I nuts? I certainly hope so. Anything less is just memorization. My wife and kids would laugh at the question, and all nod yes. I tell them it’s just the creativity leaking out. Not the financially rewarding kind of creativity that has become so popular these days, but the other kind. The kind they call “nuts.” I grew up on Dr. Seuss, and National Geographic, and found them both equally compelling, so when it was time to raise my own kids I decided to raise them on 50% nonsense, and 50% facts. Later I found that facts are harder to remember than nonsense so it ended up being more like 60/40. I was constantly changing the words of their stories, and the lyrics of their songs to keep them fresh and interesting, and to avoid copywrite infringements. The kids have long since grown up and moved away, but the wife for some reason has stayed. Some would say she’s the one who’s nuts.
  

No comments: