Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Very Brief History of My First Car

  
Reflections of power lines against a June blue sky began to bend oddly across the metallic gloss of her burgundy hood. The road ahead had suddenly become an unfocused white background lost in my peripheral vision as I watched the reflected lines bend, and re-bend. It was the maiden voyage of my 1967 Mustang, and I’d already struck an iceberg. A ripple first appeared at the far corner just above the right headlight, and it began to grow. Folding metal was coming at me like waves on the ocean. Flakes of paint instead of foam capped each breaker as they approached. It was 1977, and thus it wasn’t the Mustang’s maiden voyage, but rather my maiden voyage in a car of my very own. For fourteen glorious minutes, from the time it was insured at Allstate to the time on the police report (12:14 pm,) it was all mine, and I couldn’t wait to get it home. Graduation was just two days away, and the rearview mirror that I would soon hang my blue and gold S.H.S. Class of ’77 tassel on was now being ripped from the windshield by the side of my head. Through the broken glass a white station wagon came into focus, and then faded away.
 

2 comments:

pat schoonover said...

Yes! I remember that day too, I was so anxious to see your new car, you had called, said that you were on your way to our house, it was less than a couple of miles but you were taking a long time getting here, so I walked out to the alley knowing even tho it would be your first time driving that you would come to the alley and there you were with a patrol car by your side and your head wrapped in bandages, my heart dropped and I felt so bad that your dream had been shattered, not by your doing but by an impatient driver who would not allow you the right of way. Randy...my heart still feels bad when I think of it, how... for so long you and your dad had hunted for just the right car to be your first one. regrets, we've had a few. love you Mom Pat

Anonymous said...

This is one of those things that you look back on, and easily recall every little detail... it was quite obviously a significant life experience for you. Even though we lost touch for all those years, I am so enjoying getting re-acquainted with you via your blog. Keep writing!
Aunt Alana