Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Cowboy in Time Square

  
Along the sidewalk he strode,
'Neath the shade of a well worn Stetson,
Past a thicket of women.
They beckoned to him.

As tempting as a clump of August blackberries,
And seemingly as juicy and sweet.
Their smooth plump fruit,
Hanging swollen in the hot sun.

But he imagined the vines were tougher,
The roots more hardy,
And the thorns even sharper,
Than the blackberries he knew from home.

So he kept on walking.
Though he had to look back and wonder,
What it would be like,
To pick just one.
 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

As your aunt, I'm blushing! But as one who appreciates good poetry, and the analogous flavor of this one, I'm impressed!
AAA

Randy Johnson said...

Thanks Alana. This one was inspired by a thicket of blackberries growing along a dusty road in the “cowboy town” of Toppenish, Washington during our wine tasting tour this past Labor Day Weekend. I’m not sure how the ladies of Time Square got into the poem. I’ll blame that part in the wine;)

Anonymous said...

With ancient blackberry stained memories, I tip my cowboy hat, to you. Well written young man, well done.

Anonymous said...

I'll never again look at a blackberry in the same light...perhaps IT is the forbidden fruit!! ; - )
AAA

Anonymous said...

One more thing Randy, isn't it great where a good glass of wine can take you?
AAA

Pam said...

Beautifully descriptive, sensual poem, Randy. Food, with all its textures, colors, flavors, and aromas, is always very sensual.

But, you know what they say, "It's tough to keep 'em down on the farm, after they've seen Paree."

Randy Johnson said...

What nice and interesting comments. Thank you Anonymous #1, and Pam. I’m encouraged to try my hand at some more poetry soon.

AAA, you’re so right about "where a good glass of wine can take you.” We went on a wine walk (charity wine tasting event) last Saturday, and I swear a blueberry bush winked at me ;)

Anonymous said...

OMG, Randy, you are hilarious!!!! Those blueberries are little flirts, aren't they?
AAA