Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Luckily, I’m More Forgetful than I Used to Be

  
I can’t tell you how many times (although my wife probably could) that I’ve put something on the stove, or in the oven and forgotten all about it …until a cloud of smoke caused me to suspect that perhaps I was cooking something. Well today would have been number something or other in that long series of mishaps, but luckily evolution in its slow, but ever prudent manner averted what could have been another smoky disaster at my house.

You see, about an hour ago I put some fancy jalapeno bread on a cookie sheet, grated some cheddar cheese over the top, and flipped on the broiler. Then I filled my coffee cup and wandered off to the computer to do a little reading at Craneleg's Pond. Well, a little reading led to a little writing, and the next thing you know I thought I smelled smoke. So I ran into the kitchen and flung open the oven door. I know readers, I know ..."you’re not supposed to close the oven door when you’re broiling, blah, blah, blah," but that little lecture is wasted on me. I always close the oven door. I've convinced myself that “with the door closed, whatever’s in there will cook faster and be done before I can forget what I was doing and wander off.” What? …you don’t see the brilliance in that? Okay, I’ll concede that point.

Note to self: From now on …uhh …something about an oven door.

Now where were we? Oh yeah! I flung open the oven door and only a tiny puff of smoke came out. Where was the usual head enveloping, eye watering, cough inducing, billowing black behemoth that I’ve become so accustomed to? ...and where was the carbon lump, and ruined cookie sheet that should be in there? It’s gone! Where’s my cheesy bread?!

Oh, there it is …sitting on the counter by the coffee maker. I forgot to put it in the oven. Well how’s that for Darwinism at its best! You see, forgetful Randy may have nearly burned the house down again, but super-forgetful Randy merely preheated the oven to the Hell setting. Well to make a long story short, I popped the cheesy bread under the broiler, shut the door and came in here to tell you all about how I almost ...Oh crap!!!
 

4 comments:

itsmecissy said...

I'm rolling over here!!!

Gotta send you my favorite man apron, it says "Danger! Man Cooking."

http://www.zazzle.com/danger_man_cooking_apron-154555589577891011

Randy Johnson said...

Itsmecissy:

If you enjoyed that one, some day I’ll have to tell you about the time I boiled a corned beef brisket on HIGH all day long. Although technically I guess it isn’t called boiling after all the water is evaporated. Boy that one was a doosy!

Or the time I hit 33 minutes instead of 3 minutes on the microwave popcorn, and ended up throwing a flaming microwave oven out the back door. The whole neighborhood smelled burnt that day.

Or the time …well this one wasn’t a cooking adventure, but it does highlight my domestic skills …the time I accidentally poured Sprite® instead of water into my wife’s new iron. Didn’t realize what I’d done until I hit the steam button and hot glued the iron to a dress shirt with bubbling sugar …and that stuff doesn’t come out (of the shirt or the iron!)

Oh, I’ve got more, and all of them true, but those are probably my top three.

PS. That apron would be perfect. Just wearing it might remind me that I’m cooking something.

lightly said...

randy you need to write a book, get bob to help you.
you little learning curves can be highly entertaining.

Pam said...

See what happens when you visit Cranelegs Pond! Time flies when you're having fun.

The apron is a greatg idea!