Friday, November 18, 2011

The Curmudgeon’s Holiday Poem


My knees are feeling older
And the toilet seat is colder
But there’s paper in the holder
So I guess it could be worse

Oh the joys of late November
With a turkey to dismember
These are times I will remember
Future stuff to tell my nurse

We all gather at the table
And give thanks that we are able
To watch football on the cable
So we don’t have to converse

Now the Firewood needs chopping
But we’re going Christmas shopping
And the mall is really hopping
No, I will not hold your purse!

In a beard too tightly fitting
Poor ol’ Santa’s head is splitting
On his lap the kids are sitting
Kringle looks a little terse

Little drummer boys are drumming
And the Christmas cards are coming
Now we have some frozen plumbing
This is when I start to curse

Oh the joys of mid December
With a faucet to dismember
These are times I will remember
I feel sorry for that nurse

Oh they say they are delighted
To their party I’m invited
Such delight is unrequited
In their wine glass I immerse

Oh the joys of January
I don’t mean to sound contrary
I’ll say “have a very merry…
Holiday” and I’ll disperse


Yes that was the final verse

Nurse!

5 comments:

Newt said...

Sweet. And welcome back.

Randy Johnson said...

Thanks Newt, and since I'm feeling festive I just added 2 more verses of joyous holiday memories to the poem.

Pam Beers. said...

Glad to see you composing again.

Holidays tend to bring out the best in most of us.

itsmecissy said...

Love the poem Randy! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Randy Johnson said...

Thanks Pam and Itsme. You don't think it's too cheerful do you? Sometimes I get a little sappy around the holidays ;)