Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Hot Tub Owners: Important Warning Number 27

  
Whenever you go to the online parts catalog to order yourself a new 230V-1ph-60Hz-SM909-NHR662.9 circulation pump, and a pop up window says “We’re sorry. Item# 230V-1ph-60Hz-SM909-NHR662.9 has been discontinued. Please order our universal replacement pump: item# B-2” you can bet your last unscarred knuckle that you're going to be disappointed in the B-2’s ease of installation …but discontinued means discontinued so you’re options are limited:

Option #1 Call a certified repairman
Option #2 Order the B-2.

The smart choice of course is option #1.

Well the B-2 arrived today so out to the hot tub I went with 20 lbs of tools, and an ounce of optimism (I would need more of both before the afternoon was over.) Then first thing I noticed was that the pump was shorter, and the bracket was different, and the hoses didn’t line up quite right, but hey at least they both had three wires so how hard could it be. All I had to do was release the clips, remove the screws, and disconnect the wiring, and the old 230V-1ph-60Hz-SM909-NHR662.9 popped out just as simple as you please.

Popping the new B-2 in however would require moving the main control panel, re-routing some hoses, tossing out the old bracket, and cutting a new support block before it could be attached to anything, or before anything could be attached to it. Ninety minutes of Cirque du Soleil contortions later everything seemed to be in place. The deck looks like a Maytag repairman exploded on it, but I’ll clean that up when I'm sure I'm actually done dancing with the B-2. Right now it’s time to put 800 gallons of water back into the tub so I can see if this thing’s gonna fire up.

Will it run without leaking? Will it go the right direction? Will it work at all? Maybe I should have read the return policy ...or at least the installation instructions. Oh well, too late for all that now. I’ll find out in a couple hours.

~ A couple hours later ~

Well nothing exploded when I flipped the breaker switch. I almost feel giddy when that happens. Upon further inspection, the thing seems to be running perfectly. No noise, no leaks, just quite circulating water! Was there ever any doubt?
  

6 comments:

lightly said...

i assume this was written for the benefit of the female readers because you did everything as is written in "how to be a man".
you did leave out one detail but i will just take it that since you one of us the beer was chilled to the correct temperature and position correctly next to the tool box.

Randy Johnson said...

Lightly: Do you think my target audience will be able to grasp what I’m trying to explain here? Maybe I should be more direct. Target audience: If you ever decide to fix something yourself and someone tries to sell you a “universal” replacement part, walk away as fast as you can. In parts jargon the term “universal” means: “Doesn’t fit anything. Almost fits everything.” There, that advice should save a few lives.

Also, I hope this doesn’t tarnish my image as a man, but when it comes to drinking I have strict limits. My working limit is 120 volts, and since I was hooking the B-2 up to a 240 volt panel with water lines just inches away, I left the alcohol inside the house. However if it will help you to think better of me, I do have to mow the yard today, and my mower won’t even start without a cold beer in the cup holder. At least I don’t think it will. I’ve never really tried it.

Anonymous said...

I will be checking back in a couple of hours to hear, as Paul Harvey always used to say, "The rest of the story!" Good luck!
AAA

Randy Johnson said...

AAA: Thanks! I just added "the rest of the story."

Robert Crane said...

okay acouple of thngs:

thing 1) you lost me at, "whenever you go to the online parts store ...", but i'm sure that is more about me than anything else.
thing 2) when i hear "universal", that usually is followed by little font "for most products", of which i am guarantteed to own the least part.
thing 3) you better check to make sure the air conditioner isn't shooting out water. that is what i discovered the last time i tried to replace a broken toilet seat with a so-called universal one.

other than those things, i related.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Great work! I had unwavering confidence in your capabilities!! Well, maybe there was just a glimmer of doubt when you mentioned that the pump was a different size...the hoses did not line up/etc. With that being said, I am so glad your hot tub is back "up and running"! Hopefully you can experience another wonderful "Sunday Morning Service" from its vantage point.
AAA