Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Autumn!

I went out to the backyard today,
and I yelled, "Fall!"
Well actually I yelled, "Autumn!"
because when I call him by Autumn
he knows I'm serious.

"Autumn!" I hollered.
He breezed over from the woods
and whirrled nervously in front of me,
shifting his weight from side to side.

"Look Autumn" I said,
"I know it's mid-September,
but I'm not done with my Summer projects yet.
I need you to lay low for a few more weeks".

Fall picked up a leaf
and toyed with it for a moment.

"Autumn, don't!"
He picked up more leaves.
"Autumnus!!!" (I'm really serious now).
And he flung them in my face.

"Just two weeks!" I yelled,
seeking compromise.
Fall swept across the yard,
turned and glared at me.

"One week?"
It began to rain.

I'm inside now,
sending an angry text message to Summer.

R.L. Johnson, 2018

No comments: