Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Old Screen Doors and Telephones

Gosh, I miss the soothing sound of a rotary telephone, and the way it used to take twice as long to dial SK9-9978 as it did to dial SK2-1312. And I miss saying Skyline instead of SK, and I miss saying SK instead of 75 …and if none of this makes any sense to you, you’ve probably never heard the sound of a wood screen door slamming either. What a shame. You grew up in a world of aluminum screen doors with hydraulic screen door closers. For crying out loud, you can’t even slam one of those damn things! …and don’t even get me started on TV dials, and radio knobs!!

4 comments:

Pam Beers. said...

Dad used to yell at me for slamming the screen door. Ah-h-h those sweet sounds...not of yelling but of slamming. I remember picking up the receiver of the phone and hearing the operator ask, "Number, please."

Those were the days when things were simpler and we were all more connected to one another.

Thanks for the memories, Randy.

lightly said...

close the barn door, the old people are escaping.

i can remember the day out teacher allowed us to write with a fountain pen.

Pam Beers. said...

lightly, regarding the barn door, I hope you aren't referring to me, 'cause I'm not getting older, I'm getting better.

I remember dipping one of those scratchy old pens into an inkwell. On the way to school, we used to pick white spirea off the neighbors bush, stick them in our inkwell and watch them turn blue.

I spent a lot of time in the principals office.

itsmecissy said...

And toilet seats, you can't even slam those down anymore. It's all hydraulics now (or something like that).