Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Burning Season

The wood stove needs a cleaning,
And the stove pipe needs it too.
I got a big wire brush on a long thin pole
That I shove right down the flue.

And the soot gets on the rooftop,
And the soot gets in the air,
And the soot gets all over both o’ my hands.
There are fingerprints everywhere!

And the wood pile needs refilling,
And the kindling bin does too,
And the chain saw needs a brand new chain,
But the old one will have to do.

So I head out to the back lot,
With my saw and a pickaroon,
To cut down a tree, that between you and me,
I shoulda cut down last June.

And the sawdust gets in my eyeballs,
And the sawdust gets in my hair,
And the sawdust goes right down the back of my shirt,
And from there it goes God knows where!

And my boots are filled with wood chips,
And my hands are smeared with pitch,
And I’ll shout hallelujah when the springtime comes!
"Cause burning season is such a, ...drag!
 

6 comments:

Pam Beers. said...

I left a comment earlier. What happened to it?

Pam Beers. said...

Fire so cozy,
smells so good,

Keep on cutting
that firewood.

Randy Johnson said...

About the missing comment: I don't know??? I would never delete a Pam comment!

Randy Johnson said...

LOL Pam! Nice poem, except the fire won't cozy tonight. The wood stove cracked, and I have to go buy a new one this week! We'll be wearing extra sweaters around here for a few days :)

Pam Beers. said...

Oh goody, now I can start leaving smutty comments, since you won't delete them...or is that sooty?

It's 73 degrees right now. Going up to 81 degrees here today.

Upstate NY is ablaze with fall colors and heat.

Randy Johnson said...

New York sounds nice this time of year. It's warmed up to 40° here, and thank goodness for that! Burning season has gotten off to a bit of a slow start... heat-wise that is. In addition to the wood stove cracking, the hot tub heater, and the house furnace also crapped out this week! The new wood stove is still a couple weeks away, the hot tub parts are on order, and I just bought a new igniter for the furnace that I'll be installing shortly, so with a little luck maybe we'll have heat tonight!