Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Rite of Spring

  
Ah, the smell of fresh cut grass! Yes that’s right, today was the opening day of lawn mowing season here at Johnson Manor. It’s that special time of year when I hop on the old Cub Cadet, shift the lever from turtle to rabbit speed, pull out the choke and turn the key to begin the initial harvest of spring. Fuel and adrenalin surge as I feel the power of the machine with its twenty horses rumbling beneath me, and I feel my farming ancestors as they channel through my veins. Then with the mighty tractor’s finely tuned engine revving and its newly sharpened blades spinning in unison, I drive onto the lawn where I immediately begin flinging chipped rocks and bits of lost reading glasses all over the yard as the goats and donkeys run for cover; and then I pause to wonder, as chunks of rubber dog toys ricochet off the back of the house, why any engineer worth his college degree would design a riding lawnmower with only one beer holder.

5 comments:

Pam Beers. said...

It's amazing what the snow covers during the winter months. I was sure I saw a body in the yard after the thaw. Turns out it was a pile of leaves, a tree branch, and an old pair of flip flops left outside during the warmer months.

It had me wonmdering for a moment. John Deere is always looking for suggtestions to improve their lawn tractors. They'd be happy to hear about your two-beer holder for sure.

lightly said...

beer holders are for wimps,
you do know if you add the trailer attachment you can hold an entire portable cooler box filled with beer, hell even a picnic basket as well. picnic basket optional.

Pam Beers. said...

lightly, you're always thinking. I like the trailer attachment idea.

itsmecissy said...

Any engineer worth his college degree would design a riding lawnmower with solar panels to power a beer chiller cup holder.

And I don't even mow the lawn!

Newt said...

The relevant question is why anyone would burden a perfectly good beer-holder with a big old labor-creating device. Get a goat and drink beer in the shade of the porch.