Friday, March 26, 2010

Ray

  
Today while I was cutting firewood in the backyard, I began reminiscing about my job at the sawmill, over thirty years ago. The fresh Douglas fir sawdust flying from my chainsaw smelled the same today as it did back then. I began to hear the sounds of the sawmill. The pounding of logs on their way to the head-rig, the tearing of saw blades, the rip of the planer, the slapping of lumber coming off the green chain. I could feel the building shake, and I began to see their faces again. Phil, Bob, and Jay. Mark, having a laugh with Cho and Kim. Patty with her leather gloves tucked in the back pockets of those tight blue jeans. Glen and Old Throp, grading and stamping the lumber. Ken, high on speed, keeping up with the best of ‘em. And Ray.

Today I wished I could go back to that mill just one more time. Back three decades. Back to the night before Ray died. I’d sit by him at the lunch table and say “Ray, don’t come in to work tomorrow. Take your wife and kid out for a drive in that new truck you’re so proud of. And when you come back, don’t wear those steel toe boots. They’re not safe. They’re more dangerous that you could ever imagine. And from now on, don’t climb up on that machine of yours anymore when it’s running. And when boards get caught in the rollers, don’t ever try to kick them through with your foot. When boards get caught like that, turn off the machine Ray. Turn off the machine.”
 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life is like that...I think everyone can look back on words they wish they had spoken, opportunities they wish they had taken, loves they wish they had professed, songs they wish they would have sung, roses they wish they had smelled. But I truly believe that for the most part we have all done the best we could with the knowledge and experience we had at the time.

The fact that you are remembering and missing Ray three decades later, tells me that you most certainly WOULD have intervened had you known back then what you know now.

And, I'm quite sure Ray is aware of that!

Love, AAA
(Anonymous Aunt Alana)

Randy Johnson said...

Alana:

Thank you for your nice sentiments. It’s strange how turning left or driving straight, or going to work or not, or getting on a plane or not, can have such life changing implications. That our lives lie in the hands of split second decisions, and fate is an ominous thing.

A little more about this entry:

Of all our senses, they say smell is the most powerful evoker of memories. Fresh cut fir always takes me back to the mill, but I haven’t thought of Ray in years. That was certainly the worst day the mill had ever seen. But back then safety wasn’t taken as seriously as it is today. The machinery was crude early 20th century stock, larger than life for milling old growth northwest timbers. The mill was a maze of unguarded chains, blades, belts, and rollers spinning in the air. We were rag-dolls to those machines, but we worked on and around them daily without a second thought, until one took Ray.

Several of us were injured during my years there. I was sent to the hospital three times myself, but because I was always able to return to “light duty” the next day it never counted as a “lost time accident,” and so the sign above the time-clock continued to mark off the safety record “86 days without a lost time accident” until somebody’s misfortune reset it to zero.

Anonymous said...

Randy, it is for sure that our sense of smell has the ability to "take us back"!

I wanted to say again that I love following your blog. Every entry you make is interesting, well written, and thought provoking. AND, it is allowing me to continually learn more about you. I had no idea you ever worked in a sawmill. I can now enjoy picturing you cutting firewood. Through this blog I am realizing that we have many commonalities, and that all those lost years cannot take away the fact that you are my nephew, you are my father's grandson, we are family!

Love,
AAA

luna said...

Moody,

You captured that day extremely well for me, indeed you did.

How many times did we wish we shoulda, coulda, woulda?

Sadly, we have a few more rounds in our lives to see if we hit the mark 'successfully'.

Wonderful story (thanks for sharing) and well written.